SEISMIC & SEISMOLOGY
Monitoring of natural hazards
Underground imaging (VSP, surface seismic)
Optimization of the reservoir production (CO2, hydrocarbons...)
Events detection and alerting in case of danger
Distributed fiber optic sensing presents significant advantages compared to traditional technologies. The only requirement is to deploy an optical fiber to lunch a survey and the cable can remain in place after the operation.
Distributed fiber optic sensing offers the best data density. By limiting the needs of equipments to make a survey, it also allows to reduce the maintenance costs.
FEBUS devices provide measurements of:
- vibrations with the FEBUS A1 (DAS - Distributed Acoustic Sensing)
- temperature with the FEBUS T1-R (DTS - Distributed Temperature Sensing)
- strain and temperature with the FEBUS G1-R (DSTS - Distributed Strain and Temperature Sensing)
Continously and real-time, distributed measurements giving reliable and precisely localized data are achieved.
FEBUS Optics solutions offer unique features:
- Localization of reservoirs and optimization of their production
- Real-time detection and study of landslides, volcanology, seismology, glaciology...>
- Optimization of the production and prevention of a potential environmental impact due to exploitation
Imaging the underground to localize or to operate a continuous monitoring of reservoirs is a main advantage.
By using distributed fiber optic sensing, the localization and characterization costs are optimized.
The FEBUS A1 (DAS - Distributed Acoustic Sensing) allows to analyze different wave trains recorded by the optical fiber during 2D, 3D and 4D seismic survey.
This way, the interest in boring a defined site is confirmed.
Furthermore, 4D seismic surveys provide a visualization of the evolution of the reservoirs throughout their years of operation.
The FEBUS A1 (DAS - Distributed Acoustic Sensing) also allows to achieve VSP (Vertical Seismic Profile) with a wireline or a slickline optical fiber or through a permanent deployment.
VSP achieved by the FEBUS A1 (Vauvert, France) via wireline
Deploying a fiber optic cable in the well offers the advantage of a permanent installation and distributed measurements are obtained all along the structure:
- reliable measurements,
- very high resolution data,
- contained costs of deployment and maintenance.
FEBUS devices quality and a good coupling of the optical fiber in the well enable to detect the arrival time of the P and S waves.
Furthermore, fiber optic sensing is a non-intrusive and distributed technology. This way, the spatial resolution of the measurements can be adapted according to the geometry of the targeted geological formations.
Finally, the state-of-the-art sensitivity of the FEBUS A1 (DAS) allows to ensure a continuous monitoring of the local seismicity around the well.
To ease the data processing, FEBUS Optics provides preferred standard files format: HDF5, SEGY, miniSEED...
NATURAL HAZARDS & SEISMOLOGY
FEBUS distributed fiber optic sensing devices cover many applications of Earth sciences: vulcanology, earthquake monitoring, observation of the Ocean-solid Earth interactions, monitoring of the evolution of the glacier, of the landslides...
Furthermore, our solution can work by plugging our interrogators to an already installed optical fiber, for example a telecom cable ("dark fiber").
2.1 magnitude earthquake detected by the FEBUS A1 (Le Teil, France)
Rapid response to the Mw 4.9 earthquake of November 11.2019 in Le Teil, Lower Rhône Valley, France - C. Cornou, et al.; 2021; Comptes-Rendus. Géoscience, Online first
The state-of-the-art performances of the FEBUS A1 (DAS - Distributed Acoustic Sensing) meet the requirements of this field:
- a noise floor of 3 pε/√Hz
- an adaptable gauge length before or after acquisition
- a very low frequency high sensitivity allowing to detect the farthest events (teleseisms)
- the ability to cover more than 200 km with only one device (long range version, while keeping a seismic quality)
- the possibility to increase the range by associating the FEBUS A1 (DAS) to the FEBUS REM (Range Extension Module).
Improve the data quality by adapting the gauge length after the acquisition
On the impact of the gauge length value on Distributed Acoustic Sensing data quality - C. Jestin, et al.; 2020; Conference Proceedings, 82nd EAGE Conference and Exhibition
The FEBUS A1 (DAS) offers many opportunities, among other things:
- the monitoring of the volcanoes activity
- the creation of a map and the measurement of the seismic activity of a region
- the observation of the low frequency activity of a region (microseismic pics, teleseisms, etc...)
- the visualization of P waves and S waves
- the production of a passive imaging of the subsurface thanks to a noise tomography
- the detection of landslides and the control of the evolution of the glaciers
FEBUS A1 acquisition: 41 km, 6000 captors (Toulon, France)
Distributed sensing of earthquakes and ocean-solid Earth interactions on seafloor telecom cables - A. Sladen, et al.; 2019; Nature Communication
Preliminary assessment of ship detection and trajectory evaluation using Distributed Acoustic Sensing on an optical fiber telecom cable - D. Rivet, et al.; 2021; The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America
Seismic acquisition in deep ocean acheived by the FEBUS A1 (non-stacked, non-filtered data: a unique shot)
Real-time and continuous high resolution data are obtained. They are accurate, reliable and precisely localized.
Mining can cause induced seismicity in the surroundings and can also be very hazardous to mine-tailing dams. Thus ensuring a real-time and continuous monitoring of the entire site is essential as well as being informed as quick as possible if a defined alert threshold is reached.
The FEBUS A1 (DAS - Distributed Acoustic Sensing) allows to:
- optimize the production,
- optimize the operating costs,
- prevent any potential environmental impact.
|Reliable and accurate measurements||Very high resolution data||Real-time alerting|
FEBUS OPTICS IMPLEMENTATION AND SERVICE
FEBUS Optics technical leads are at customer's disposal to support and to offer operational solutions adapted to each project.
- They come on-site to install dedicated solutions and achieve the surveys. Our experts are also available on remote to assist during operations.
- They take care of the system configuration and guarantee the measurement quality thanks to predefined procedures (depth control, geographic position, signal-to-noise ratio).
- They offer a remote connection to monitor the quality of the acquisition during the campaign.
- They deliver data in the preferred standard format (SEGY, miniSEED...).
FEBUS Optics provides a training and ensure a support for the entire service life of the project: assistance for the processing and the interpretation of the data, adjustment of the measurement parameters...
Furthermore, FEBUS offers a maintenance contract to ensure a high level of continuity of service. Spare parts, backup machines, on-site repairs are optionally offered. The maintenance package can be fully tailored as per customer needs.
WHY CHOOSE FEBUS OPTICS FOR SEISMIC AND SEISMOLOGIC ACQUISITION SURVEYS?
|High sensitivity (state-of-the-art noise floor)||An imaging of the subsurface is achieved with a quality comparable to traditional seismic captors (geophones, hydrophones).|
|Long range of our devices||The farthest events are detected and observed.|
Adaptation of the gauge length after acquisition
|Data are better used thanks to parameters optimized to the current campaign.|
Delivery of raw data or in standard formats (HDF5, SEGY, miniSEED...)
|The files processing is made with the client's usual software.|
|Measurements on already installed cable||An infinite potential of captors is available thanks to the existing fiber optic telecommunications network.|
|Continuous and real-time monitoring||A solution is run very quickly.|
|Precise localization of the alert||The intervention is organized on the exact place of the event.|
|Durability of the equipment (optical fiber & interrogator)||The maintenance costs are optimized.|
Automatic events detection software and alerting
|Early-detection and early-warning are got thanks to the adaptation of our solutions to the project specific needs.|
|The measurement system's availability is optimized.
|FEBUS Optics support||The project runs in an atmosphere of serenity. Our teams can be contacted by mail, phone or via our support solution.|
|The quality of our products, our services and our support is recognized.|