SEISMIC & NATURAL HAZARDS
Monitoring of natural hazards
Underground imaging (Vertical Seismic Profiling, surface seismic)
Optimization of the reservoir production (CO2, hydrocarbons...)
Events detection and alerting in case of danger
Distributed fiber optic sensing presents significant advantages compared to traditional technologies. Indeed, the only prerequisite is having a fiber optic cable deployed, to launch a survey along the cable route. The cables can remain in place after the operation for use in the future (in the case of 4D seismic survey for example).
By giving access to one seismic receiver at each meter (down to 0.2m), distributed fiber optic sensing offers the best data density. By limiting the needs of equipments to make a survey, it also allows to reduce the costs.
FEBUS devices provide measurements of:
- vibrations with the FEBUS A1 (DAS - Distributed Acoustic Sensing)
- temperature with the FEBUS T1-R (DTS - Distributed Temperature Sensing)
- strain and temperature with the FEBUS G1-R (DSTS - Distributed Strain and Temperature Sensing)
Continously and real-time, distributed measurements generate reliable and precisely localized data.
FEBUS Optics solutions offer unique features:
- Localization of reservoirs and optimization of their production
- Real-time detection and study of landslides, volcanology, seismology, glaciology...>
- Optimization of the production and prevention of a potential environmental impact due to exploitation
Imaging the underground is generally the purpose of seismic surveys.
By using distributed fiber optic sensing, the costs are optimized compared to conventional surveys (using geophones onshore or hydrophones offshore).
The FEBUS A1 (DAS - Distributed Acoustic Sensing) allows to analyze different seismic waves recorded by the optical fiber during 2D, 3D and 4D seismic survey.
This way, the interest in choosing a site is confirmed before starting drilling operations.
Furthermore, 4D seismic surveys provide a visualization of the evolution of the reservoirs throughout their years of operation.
The FEBUS A1 (DAS - Distributed Acoustic Sensing) also allows to achieve VSP (Vertical Seismic Profile) with a wireline or a slickline optical fiber cable or through a permanent deployment (either along the completion or more rarely behind casings).
VSP achieved by the FEBUS A1 (Vauvert, France) via wireline
Thanks to our distributed fiber optic solutions, our customer obtains, at every point along the structure:
- reliable measurements,
- very high spatial resolution data,
- contained costs of deployment and maintenance.
FEBUS devices quality and a good coupling of the optical fiber in the well enable to detect the arrival time of the P and S waves.
All FEBUS' fiber optic sensing technologies are non-intrusive and distributed. Moreover, the spatial resolution (gauge length) of the measurements performed with the FEBUS A1 can be adapted according to the geometry of the targeted geological formations.
Finally, the state-of-the-art sensitivity of the FEBUS A1 (DAS) allows to achieve a continuous monitoring of the local seismicity around the well.
To ease the data processing, FEBUS Optics provides preferred standard files format: HDF5 (native), SEGY, miniSEED...
NATURAL HAZARDS & SEISMOLOGY
FEBUS distributed fiber optic sensing devices cover many applications of Earth sciences: vulcanology, earthquake monitoring, observation of the Ocean-solid Earth interactions, monitoring of the evolution of glacier, of landslides...
Furthermore, our solution can work by plugging our interrogators to an already installed optical fiber cable, for example a telecom cable ("dark fiber") or a fiber optic cable deployed on purpose.
2.1 magnitude earthquake detected by the FEBUS A1 (Le Teil, France)
Mw 4.9 earthquake of November 11.2019 in Le Teil, Lower Rhône Valley, France - C. Cornou, et al.; 2021; Comptes-Rendus. Géoscience, Online first
The state-of-the-art performances of the FEBUS A1 (DAS - Distributed Acoustic Sensing) meet the requirements of these applications:
- a noise floor of 3 pε/√Hz
- an adaptable gauge length before or after acquisition
- a very low frequency high sensitivity allowing to detect the farthest events (teleseisms)
- the ability to cover more than 200 km with only one device (long range version, while keeping a seismic quality)
- the possibility to increase the range by associating the FEBUS A1 (DAS) to the FEBUS REM (Range Extension Module).
Improvement of the data quality by adapting the gauge length after the acquisition
On the impact of the gauge length value on Distributed Acoustic Sensing data quality - C. Jestin, et al.; 2020; Conference Proceedings, 82nd EAGE Conference and Exhibition
The FEBUS A1 (DAS) offers many opportunities:
- monitoring of the volcanoes activity
- creation of a map and the measurement of the seismic activity of a region
- observation of the low frequency activity of a region (microseismic pics, teleseisms, etc...)
- visualization of P waves and S waves
- production of a passive imaging of the subsurface thanks to a noise tomography
- detection of landslides and the control of the evolution of the glaciers
FEBUS A1 acquisition: 41 km, 6000 sensing channels (Toulon, France)
Distributed sensing of earthquakes and ocean-solid Earth interactions on seafloor telecom cables - A. Sladen, et al.; 2019; Nature Communication
Preliminary assessment of ship detection and trajectory evaluation using Distributed Acoustic Sensing on an optical fiber telecom cable - D. Rivet, et al.; 2021; The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America
Seismic acquisition in deep water achieved by the FEBUS A1 (non-stacked, non-filtered data: a unique shot)
Real-time and continuous high-resolution data are obtained. They are accurate, reliable and precisely localized.
Mining can cause induced seismicity in the surroundings. Mine-tailing dams are particularly sensitive infrastructures. Thus, ensuring a real-time and continuous monitoring of the entire site is essential to informe as quickly as possible the operators when a defined alert threshold is reached.
The FEBUS A1 (DAS - Distributed Acoustic Sensing) allows to:
- optimize production,
- decrease operating costs,
- prevent any potential negative environmental impact.
|Reliable and accurate measurements||Very high resolution data||Real-time alerting|
Increasing the range of seismic acquisition surveys and natural hazards monitoring by associating the FEBUS A1 (DAS) interrogator to the FEBUS REM (Range Extension Module).
FEBUS OPTICS IMPLEMENTATION AND SERVICE
FEBUS Optics technical leads are at customer's disposal to support and to offer operational solutions adapted to each project.
- They come on-site to install dedicated solutions and achieve the surveys. Our experts are also available on remote to assist customers during operations.
- They take care of the system configuration and guarantee the measurement quality thanks to predefined procedures (depth control, geographic position, signal-to-noise ratio).
- They offer a remote connection to monitor the quality of the acquisition during the campaign.
- They deliver data in the preferred standard format (SEGY, miniSEED...).
FEBUS Optics provides a training and ensure support for the entire service life of the project: assistance for the processing and the interpretation of the data, adjustment of the measurement parameters...
Furthermore, FEBUS offers yearly maintenance contract, warranty extension after 3 years and continuity of services. Spare parts, backup machines, on-site repairs are optionally offered. The maintenance package can be fully tailored as per customer needs.
WHY CHOOSE FEBUS OPTICS FOR SEISMIC ACQUISITION SURVEYS AND NATURAL HAZARDS MONITORING?
|High sensitivity (state-of-the-art noise floor)||An imaging of the subsurface is achieved with a quality comparable to traditional seismic sensors (geophones, hydrophones).|
|Long range of our devices||The farthest events are detected and observed.|
Adaptation of the gauge length after acquisition
|Data are better used thanks to parameters optimized to the current campaign.|
Delivery of raw data or in standard formats (HDF5, SEGY, miniSEED...)
|The files processing is made with the client's usual software.|
|Measurements on already installed cable||An infinite potential of sensors is available thanks to the existing fiber optic telecommunications network.|
|Continuous and real-time monitoring||A security solution is planned and run very quickly according to the alerts generated.|
|Precise localization of the alert||The intervention is organized on the exact place of the event.|
|Durability of the equipment (optical fiber & interrogator)||The maintenance costs are optimized.|
Automatic events detection software and alerting
|Early-detection and early-warning are got thanks to the adaptation of our solutions to the project specific needs.|
|The measurement system's availability is optimized.
|FEBUS Optics support||The project runs in an atmosphere of serenity. Our teams can be contacted by mail, phone or via our support solution.|
ISO 9001 certification
|The quality of our products, services and support is recognized.|
You are looking for a solution to achieve your seismic acquisition campaigns and natural hazards monitoring projects?